I want to remove email addresses that are on the Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) global suppression list or an account-level suppression list. Can I automatically remove email addresses from an Amazon SES suppression list?
It's a best practice to not automatically remove email addresses from account-level suppression lists. Instead, validate the email addresses and the associated bounces or complaints. If you determine that an email address can receive messages, then remove this email address from the suppression list. You can remove an email address using either the AWS Command Line Interface (AWS CLI) or the Amazon SES console.
For more information on using an account-level suppression list, see Amazon SES account-level suppression list considerations.
Note: If your Amazon SES account's ability to send email is paused, then Amazon SES deletes the addresses in your account-level suppression list after 90 days. If your account's ability to send email is restored within 90 days, then your account-level suppression list retains the addresses.
The global suppression list email address removal request feature is no longer a functionality that you can interact with in Amazon SES. The global suppression list is turned on by default and can't be turned off. Instead, you can manage your suppression lists through account-level suppression lists and configuration set-level suppression lists. For more information, see Amazon SES global suppression list.
Remove email addresses from account-level suppression list
Using the AWS CLI
Note: If you receive errors when running AWS CLI commands, make sure that you’re using the most recent version of the AWS CLI.
To remove an email address from an account-level suppression list using the AWS CLI, follow these steps:
1. Configure the AWS CLI with the AWS account and AWS Region that's associated with the account-level suppression list that you want to modify.
2. Run the delete-suppressed-destination command on the email addresses that you want to remove from the email list:
$aws sesv2 delete-suppressed-destination --email-address firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, see Removing an email address from the account-level suppression list.
Using the AWS SES console
To remove an email address from an account-level suppression list using the Amazon SES console, follow these steps:
- Log in to the Amazon SES console.
- In the navigation pane, under Configuration, choose Suppression list.
- Remove individual email addresses by either table selection or typed entry.
To remove the email addresses by table selection, follow these steps:
- In the Suppression list table, select the corresponding checkbox of the email addresses.
- Choose Remove.
To remove the email addresses by typed entry, follow these steps:
- In the Suppression list table, choose Remove email address.
- Type an email address in the Email address field. To enter more addresses, choose Enter another address and repeat for each email address.
- Review your entries for accuracy. To remove an email address, choose Remove next to the entry.
- Choose Save changes.
Do bounces from the Amazon SES suppression list affect my daily sending quota?
Understanding email deliverability in Amazon SES