I granted internet access to my AWS Lambda function that's in an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC). Now, the function keeps losing internet access or timing out. How do I troubleshoot the issue?
Review the following resources to verify that they allow outbound internet access to your Lambda function:
If any of these resources don't grant internet access to your Lambda function, then reconfigure the resource to grant your function internet access.
To manually review these resources, follow the instructions in How do I give internet access to a Lambda function that's connected to an Amazon VPC? To automate the troubleshooting process, you can use the AWSSupport-TroubleshootLambdaInternetAccess AWS Systems Manager runbook.
Note: The following troubleshooting procedure shows how to use the AWSSupport-TroubleshootLambdaInternetAccess runbook.
1. Open the AWS Systems Manager console.
2. In the left navigation pane, under Change Management, choose Automation.
3. Choose Execute automation.
4. On the Owned by Amazon tab, in the Automation document search box, enter AWSSupport-TroubleshootLambdaInternetAccess. Then, select the search icon or press Enter on your keyboard.
5. Select the icon on the upper right of the AWSSupport-TroubleshootLambdaInternetAccess card. Make sure that you choose the icon on the upper right of the card, not the name of the automation.
6. Choose Next.
7. (Optional) In the Input parameters section, for AutomationAssumeRole, enter the Amazon Resource Name (ARN) of the role that allows Systems Manager Automation to perform actions. If an IAM role isn't specified, then Systems Manager Automation uses the permissions of the IAM user role that runs the document. For more information about creating the assume role for Systems Manager Automation, see Create a service role for Automation.
Important: Either the AutomationAssumeRole or user role must have permissions for the following actions:
8. For FunctionName, enter the name of the function that needs its connectivity validated.
9. For destinationIp, enter the destination IP address where you want to initiate outbound internet access.
10. For destinationPort, enter the destination port where you want to initiate outbound internet access.
11. Choose Execute.
The runbook's output provides the status of each resource that might be causing the loss of internet connectivity for your Lambda function. The output also provides recommendations for how to resolve the issue as an "Analysis" message.
Note: For more information on AWS System Manager automation runbooks, see Working with runbooks.