I want to move an AWS Direct Connect connection from one AWS account to another. How can I do this?
To move a Direct Connect connection between AWS accounts, you must transfer ownership of that connection. The source (current owner) and destination (new owner) AWS accounts must each open separate AWS Support cases to transfer ownership of the Direct Connect connection. This process helps verify that both the source and the destination AWS accounts agree to the transfer.
The transfer of a Direct Connect connection changes ownership and billing of the connection to the transferred account. No changes are made to the Direct Connect connection during the transfer. No network outages occur during the ownership transfer of Direct Connect connections from one AWS account to another.
- This ownership transfer is only for the Direct Connect connection.
- Transfer of ownership is available only for AWS Direct Connect dedicated connections. If you have a hosted connection from an AWS partner, then transfer of ownership isn’t possible.
- Virtual interfaces associated with the Direct Connect connection aren't part of the transfer. They remain associated with the AWS account where they were created.
- Direct Connect gateways can't be moved from one AWS account to another.
Before you begin, be sure that both the current and new owners agree to the Direct Connect connection transfer.
1. Open an AWS Support case from the source account (the current owner of the Direct Connect connection). Be sure to grant permission for AWS Support to transfer the Direct Connect connection from this account to the destination account. Also, be sure to provide the Direct Connect connection ID.
2. Open an AWS Support case from the destination account (the new owner of the Direct Connect connection). Be sure to grant permission for this account to accept ownership of the Direct Connect connection. Also, be sure to provide the Direct Connect connection ID.
3. After the destination account's case is created, note the case ID.
4. Update the source account's case with the destination account's case number.
5. Wait for AWS Support to review both cases and process the ownership transfer.
AWS Direct Connect connections