I use Amazon Windows WorkSpaces, and I want to set a default printer for a WorkSpace. How can I do that?
I set a default printer for my Windows WorkSpace, but the settings don’t persist after I log off and back in to the WorkSpace. How can I fix this?
Set a default printer
- Download and install the driver for your local printer on the WorkSpace.
- From the WorkSpace, set the desired printer as the default printer, and then set any needed printer preferences.
- Install the Group Policy administrative template for PCoIP.
- Configure the local printer redirection.
If the default printer settings aren’t preserved after logging off and back in to the WorkSpace, set the default printer on the WorkSpace. Then, follow these steps:
Export a registry key containing the default printer setting
- From the Windows Start menu, choose Run.
- Enter Regedit, and then choose Ok.
- From the left navigation pane, expand HKEY_Current_User, Software, Microsoft, Windows NT, and CurrentVersion.
- Under CurrentVersion, open the context (right-click) menu for Windows, and then choose Export.
- Save the file to your desktop and name the file. Note the file name for a later step.
Create a scheduled task
The following process triggers a registry import when a user logs on.
Note: The trigger might not work if users disconnect without logging off. If this happens, the user must log off, and then log back in.
- Open a command prompt, and then run taskschd.msc to open Task Scheduler.
- From the Actions panel, choose Create Basic Task.
- For Name, enter a task name, and then choose Next.
- For Trigger, select When I log on, and then choose Next.
- For Action, select Start a program, and then choose Next.
- For Program/script, enter the following, replacing username and filename.reg with your own values:
regedit.exe /s D:\Users\username\Desktop\filename.reg
Note: Use the file name that you created when exporting the registry key.
- Choose Next, and then choose Yes.
- Select Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish, and then choose Finish.
- On the General tab, for Security options, select Run with highest privileges.
- On the Triggers tab, select the At log on trigger, and then choose Edit.
- For Advanced settings, select Delay task for, change the value to 1 minute, and then choose Ok.
- On the Actions tab, select the Start a program action, and then choose Edit.
- For Start in (optional), enter c:\windows, and then choose Ok.
- Choose Ok to close the properties window.
To confirm that the default printer settings persist, log off, and then log on again. It can take about a minute after logging on for the default printer to display correctly.
Print from a WorkSpace