I tried to sign in, but the credentials I used didn't work. Why did this happen, and how can I fix it?
Usually, this is for one or more of the following reasons:
- You've forgotten the credentials for the account.
- You're accidentally using the incorrect credentials to sign in. For example, you're using the credentials for the wrong account or AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) identity.
- An authorized user changed the credentials. For example, your account administrator updated your IAM credentials.
Recovering a forgotten password
To recover a password, you must:
- Know the email address or account number associated with the account.
- Have access to the email address. The instructions to reset the password are sent to this email address.
For instructions, see How do I recover a lost or forgotten AWS password?
Finding the email address for an account
- Check any email addresses you might have used to open an AWS account. Most account-related correspondence from AWS comes from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you find correspondence like this, the email address is probably associated with an AWS account.
- Ask other members of your team, organization, or family. If someone you know created the account, they can help you get access.
If you still can't access your AWS account, see I'm an AWS customer and I'm looking for billing or account support.
Recovering IAM credentials
Contact your account administrator. Your account administrator sets the credentials for each IAM entity on the account.
Some IAM identities can update their own passwords. For more information, see How an IAM user changes their own password.
Note: AWS Support can't discuss the details of any AWS account other than the account that you're signed in to. AWS Support can't change the credentials associated with an account for any reason.
For more information, see Troubleshooting sign-in issues.
What do I do if I receive an error when entering the CAPTCHA to sign in to my AWS account?
AWS account root user credentials and IAM user credentials
Managing user passwords in AWS
How do I remove a lost or broken MFA device from my AWS account?