Thank you for sharing the details in such a nice manner. Let's start by clarifying some confusion around what AWS changes and does not change.
- AWS Device Farm does not change the binaries or the intended behavior of Appium server or client code when running in custom environment. The expectation is you should get the same result as you get locally when running an Appium based test.
- Device Farm is identifying the activity to launch based on what the app is returning in the Manifest file and what is passed in desired capabilities.
In this case, you want to wait for the MainActivity which is "com.simplemobiletools.notes.pro.activities.MainActivity". The SplashActivity is typically seen on a fresh install and launch of an app. In case of someone using Device Farm public devices, this is default behavior every time.
A simple way to list all the activities would be an adb command which is slightly different than the one you used: "adb shell dumpsys package | grep -i " + (enter package name) + " |grep Activity"
- Set the desired capability "appWaitActivity" in yaml file to "com.simplemobiletools.notes.pro.activities.MainActivity"
- Set the desired capability "appActivity" to the splash Activity "com.simplemobiletools.notes.pro.activities.SplashActivity.Grey_black"
- As a precaution to eliminate any timing issue, I would also desired capability "appWaitDuration" to 10 secs. This will give it enough time to bypass the Splash screen.
- Set desired capability "appPackage" to "com.simplemobiletools.notes.pro"
- Check when you run a fresh install and launch of your app if you get the SplashActivity locally. I would expect to see the same results locally and on Device Farm for SplashActivity.
Hope this helps.
Calabash-android with Appium Ruby sign app with custom keystoreasked 4 years ago
Appium Java tests are not running in the AWS Device Farm
AWS Device Farm can not get the correct app activity for Android app to launch app using Appiumasked a year ago
Appium Java Test NG tests are not running in the AWS Device FarmAccepted Answer
Appium AWS device farm, unable to execute more than 100 scenarios.asked 6 months ago
Failing to detect App Activityasked 3 years ago
Device Farm: Appium iOS test never launches app, WebdriverAgent shows error "Failed to get automation session"asked a year ago
App activity is never started the app is running on the screen recordasked 2 years ago
AWS device farm react native appium webdriverio test's not workingasked 3 years ago
Java8 for iOS Appium testng testasked 2 years ago