- Common links: Product page | Docs | Tutorials/Blogs
- Consider booking an Immersion Day with your Amazon AWS representative.
Giving Babelfish a quick try
Here is a simple tutorial to take a test drive of Babelfish: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/goodbye-microsoft-sql-server-hello-babelfish/
Important: Always use the latest version of Aurora, 13.6 or higher. Previous versions of Babelfish had minimal SSMS support, making getting started difficult.
You can then connect with SSMS. While not all SSMS feature are supported, you will be able to log in and run queries.
To learn more, visit the AWS Babelfish documentation.
Evaluating a Migration
Use the Compass assessment tool to evaluate the level of support a given app has with Babelfish. Steps:
- Export your app's DDL using SSMS or any other tool.
- Run the Compass tool to generate a report in HTML format.
- Compass is a Java application, and runs on Windows, Linux or Mac.
- Example command line:
./BabelfishCompass.sh MyReportName bikestore-objects.sql -replace
- Refactor any code in the DDL that Babelfish doesn't support.
- Run the DDL on a Babelfish-enabled Aurora cluster.
- Note: No SCT use needed- Babelfish understands the SQL Server dialect.
- At this time, SSIS is the best tool for importing data into Babelfish. See the tutorial here.
- As time goes on, more data migration tools will be supported. Today, DMS is not supported with Babelfish. Check back monthly since AWS improves tooling support on a regular basis.
Tips to get Babelfish working & optimized
- You can turn on
auto_explainin your Aurora cluster to log how queries are performing. [Tutorial]
- Consider re-optimizing time-sensitive queries to eliminate implicit conversions.
- Remember, while Babelfish offers semantically correct execution of T-SQL and the SQL Server dialect, you are running on the Aurora PostgreSQL engine. Therefore, some time-sensitive queries may need to be re-optimized for the Aurora PostgreSQL engine.
Does Babelfish support table partitioning via CREATE PARTITION?Accepted Answerasked 23 days ago
What port does Babelfish work over and should I be able to test with osql?asked a year ago
How to find workaround for xml.value() function in babelfish?Accepted Answerasked 6 days ago
How do I migrate stored procedures with return status from SQL Server/Sybase to PostgreSQLAccepted Answerasked 2 years ago
Does IAM authentication works with Babelfish?asked 13 days ago
Does Aurora Babelfish support Aurora Serverless?Accepted Answer
Babelfish backup and recovery options
Babelfish: How do I get started?asked 24 days ago
Does Babelfish support XML? How can I use XML?
Tag request for Babelfish