Port 465 is by default SMTPS (SMTP over SSL), which is encrypted. So You cannot communicate with it via Telnet.
Can you provide more information on the issue? E.g. is It a connection timeout issue? or is there any error message you received?
Hi Richard, Thanks for your feedback. The error message when connecting to the 465 port using the smtp.office365.com server is Could not open connection to the host, on port 465: Connect failed.
It would have helped if you specified the exact error you got.
SMTP traffic is ussually blocked by your security groups or NACLs settings. To allow traffic over this port, please review the following:
- The security group outbound (egress) rules must allow traffic to the SMTP server on TCP port 465.
- The network ACL outbound (egress) rules must allow traffic to the SMTP server on TCP port 465.
- The network ACL inbound (ingress) rules must allow traffic from the SMTP server on TCP ports 1024-65535.
Also make sure that your Windows virtual desktop firewall and antivirus application allows traffic to SMTP server on port 465. Additionally, please make sure you verify the following:
- Kindly check application side configurations as well that it was properly configured or not.
- Next try to telnet to port 465, if it still fails please run the below command to check if any other service is using port 465:
netstat -ano | find "465"
For assistance with analyzing the output of the above command you can reach out to me, I will be willing to assist. I hope this helps
Hi Cebi, Thanks for your feedback. The netstat command does not give any output.
USB remotization on Linux virtual session?asked a year ago
Using the SMTP server with WorkMailasked 5 years ago
EC2: telnet one instance from another instanceasked 6 months ago
AWS SES - Connection time-out on port 25asked 2 years ago
SMTP Server Timeout when Configuring IMAP Clientasked 10 months ago
Create a desktop session from Amazon Linux 2 to a windows machineasked 3 months ago
Not able to connect with Tableau Desktop to Amazon Athena. Error: AA76601Fasked 8 months ago
rds connection from telnet or pgAdmin - what host?asked 5 years ago
Egress Port 25 (SMTP) redirecting to itself (localhost)Accepted Answerasked 10 months ago
SMTP connection failureasked 21 days ago