Basically custom resource timeout is capped to 1 hour.
But even though custom resource is capped to 1 hour, lambda can only run for 15 mins. So basically for lambda backed CR its 15 mins. SNS backed CR signal should be sent within 59 minutes and 59 seconds but as Christian suggested, you can make use of CloudFormation registry it can be upto 36 hours.
In summary - Lambda backed CR - 15mins SNS backed CR - 1 hour CFN Registry - upto 36 hours
Yes, resource types are ready for prime-time. Custom resources have their own use-case.
If their use-case requires compute/logic that takes less than 1 hour to execute, then custom resource would be the go-to solution.
But in case they want to have a pure resource kind of experience which also does drift detection, etc. then its better to use CloudFormation registry.
Hope this helps :)
- Accepted AnswerMODERATORasked 3 years ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 5 months ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 2 years ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 6 months ago
- How do I resolve the AWS CloudFormation error "Cannot update a stack when a custom-named resource requires replacing"?AWS OFFICIALUpdated 3 months ago
- EXPERTpublished 8 months ago