From your description, it seems as though what you attempted to do was create and attach a second VGW for your VPC.
"when I tried to create a second vpg (based on a new customer gateway with a new public ip)"
If so, that is not supported, or necessary. The VGW will support multiple Site-to-Site VPN Connections. Since the connection is to a second site, you will need to create another VPN connection specifying the existing Virtual Private Gateway and the second Customer gateway ID.
If I have correctly understood your issue, you can refer to the following documentation for more information:
There's also information for a similar setup, this being for redundant customer gateways at the same site (not your situation). However, you'll note that they are separate routers, with separate and distinct external public IPs. https://repost.aws/questions/QU4pXvrueTStuFyLvfuAIIDw/multiple-vpn-connections-with-same-vpc
- Accepted Answerasked 7 months ago
- How do I transfer data between Amazon MSK clusters in different accounts with MirrorMaker 2 that's running on MSK Connect?AWS OFFICIALUpdated 10 months ago
- Why is my AWS Site-to-Site VPN connection in the DOWN IPSEC UP status when the customer gateway is UP?AWS OFFICIALUpdated 8 months ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated a year ago
- EXPERTpublished 4 months ago
- EXPERTpublished 7 months ago