have you enabled automatic key rotation?
In that case an additional $1/month for each newly generated backing key,, as mentioned above
Seems like there are additional features active in the Frankfurt region or there is increased usage.
KMS charges $1/month (prorated hourly) and an additional $1/month for each newly generated backing key if you have enabled automatic key rotation. The other cost can be the API-related charges.
You can use the AWS Cost Explorer to get a breakdown by usage in the Frankfurt region to better identify what types of usage these charges relate to.
Cost Explorer (Filtering data) -> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/cost-management/latest/userguide/ce-filtering.html
KMS Pricing -> https://aws.amazon.com/kms/pricing/
I just had the same issue on one account. For me, it was due to automatic rotation being enabled on certain Customer managed keys: when AWS rotates a CMK, it doesn't delete the previous one and begins charging for the new one.
So if you have only one CMK created 3 years ago with automatic rotation enabled, you'll get charged for 3 CMKs, and this will continue to increase year after year.
- Accepted Answerasked 9 months ago
- Accepted Answerasked 5 months ago
- Accepted Answerasked 4 years ago
- Should I use an AWS KMS managed key or a customer managed KMS key to encrypt my objects on Amazon S3?AWS OFFICIALUpdated a year ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 14 days ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 10 months ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated a year ago
- EXPERTpublished a month ago