Hopefully others will answer with their experiences. How to handle interruptions is strongly influenced by your game design.
But somethings to consider:
- FleetIQ will isolate you a lot from Spot interruptions. At the very worst combinations, if you use combinations of Spot and OnDemand fleets, you may pay OnDemand prices for a small period.
- Typically, developers see Spot interruption rates lower than their background server crash/failure rate. Obviously your mileage may vary depending on game session length, instance types and regions in use.
- You can see the GameSession interruption metrics on your dashboard or you can instrument your own to verify your experience.
- When you get a OnProcessTerminate notice you can request the termination time (see GetTerminationTime)
- The time returned is best effort, but is typically 1-2 minutes before the process will be force terminated
- You can make a decision about what to do then, but the strong recommendation is to terminate your process gracefully, but you could:
- Let the game finish if time allows
- Use game session backfill features to move players to existing game sessions
- Trigger a game event that makes sense in your game context and terminate.
- Migrate players to a new game session with suitable messaging.
- Message the players and reward them with ingame items/boost in the next game
Okay , thankyou @REDACTEDUSER
How to send custom Launch paramater for a game session when request to create game session?Accepted Answerasked a year ago
Game Lift - When does the timeout for game session activation trigger?asked a month ago
Spot Instance interruption while CodeDeploy is running a deployment to an Auto Scaling groupAccepted AnswerEXPERTasked 2 years ago
Hibernating Spot Instances upon interruption in Amazon EKSAccepted Answerasked 2 years ago
Create Spot Fleet Request / Chargesasked 3 months ago
Spot Fleet Instance could not be stoppedasked 2 months ago
How to do game session migration to handle spot interruption?Accepted Answerasked 4 years ago
Queue priorities with Spot fleetsAccepted Answerasked 9 months ago
Asking about how to terminate game sessionasked 3 years ago
Spot persistent requestasked 2 months ago