RDP to Server Is Extremely Slow


I have tried restarting the server twice. The server response is very slow. RDP took 15 minutes to bring up windows screen. The server is located at Oregon, Zone A (us-west-2a). From what I can see, the CPU Utilization is very low. With the Windows RDP screen up, clicking on Windows explorer takes 10 minutes to run. And of course my website response is slow as well. The problem started early this morning.

Hardware Issue?

Task Manager shows Service Host: Local System as using at least 50-75% of the CPU. The CPU is at 99%.

Edited by: WLPOAWebMast on Aug 9, 2021 3:32 PM

Edited by: WLPOAWebMast on Aug 9, 2021 3:45 PM

Edited by: WLPOAWebMast on Aug 9, 2021 4:32 PM

asked 2 years ago1062 views
4 Answers

Still having severe response time issues. The Windows task is using most of my CPU. It takes up to 5 minutes to bring up my web pages. I cannot RDP to the server since the connection process times out. Rebooting the server does not fix the issue. This has been going on for 3-4 days now! My previous description should have have said the CPU utilization is very high (99%). My Tomcat server is using very little of the CPU.

Edited by: WLPOAWebMast on Aug 12, 2021 10:17 AM

answered 2 years ago

Under the "Metrics" tab on your instance management page, there is a graph showing the average CPU usage of your instance. Notice that there is a sustainable zone and a burstable zone. If your instance CPU usage is consistently in the burstable zone (which yours seems to be given the high CPU usage you've indicated), you may experience issues with instance availability. Depending on your use-case, it may be worthwhile to upgrade to a more powerful instance type in order to increase availability by remaining in the sustainable zone.

answered 2 years ago

Thanks. I am considering it, when I have time. I am running process explorer and see that svchost.exe (Service Host Process) is taking almost all of the CPU time. This seems concerning to me. I know this covers a variety of things like Windows Update. I am applying the latest cumulative Windows update to see if an issue was introduced from the last one in mid-July.

answered 2 years ago

I have moved to a new server instance that is a little larger and that is working well. Performance is noticeably faster. I think I know what happened o the other server. The process that was bogging down the server (always at 99% CPU) was a Windows process that is used for Windows Update, Task Scheduler, etc. I listed the process name earlier. Things to remember:

  1. The server worked fine for over a year (a little slow, but acceptable).

  2. The problem started sometime in July (a month ago).

  3. The server I am using is Apache Tomcat. This process was not a big user of the CPU. Neither was the MySQL server. Those are the only 2 processes that I had running.

  4. Running Windows Update, there was a cumulative update applied in July and an August cumulative update was available. When I tried to apply the new update, it was unable to start the update download process (0%). Even after 1 day, it was still at 0%.

  5. When I RDP'd to the server, there was a message on the screen stating that my copy of Windows needed to be registered.

So something caused my Windows license to no longer work/expire. I think this caused problems with the server and led to that process to continually run and use up all of my CPU. If I ever see that message again on the new instance, I will need to find instructions to fix it for Lightsail.

answered 2 years ago

You are not logged in. Log in to post an answer.

A good answer clearly answers the question and provides constructive feedback and encourages professional growth in the question asker.

Guidelines for Answering Questions