According to Troubleshoot stopping your instance:
"If you have stopped your Amazon EBS-backed instance and it appears stuck in the stopping state, there may be an issue with the underlying host computer."
I don't remember a time when you could change the instance type of a running instance, you have to go through the stop-change-start cycle.
You can also setup the auto recovery option on your instance, Recover your instance
- How do I troubleshoot Amazon ECS tasks that take a long time to stop when the container instance is set to DRAINING?AWS OFFICIALUpdated a year ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated a year ago
- How do I troubleshoot an EC2 Linux instance that fails a status check due to over-utilization of resources?AWS OFFICIALUpdated 3 months ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 5 months ago
- EXPERTpublished 6 months ago
- EXPERTpublished 4 months ago