The Security Group will not return a "connection refused" error. Security Groups act like firewalls. If the rules in the Security Group don't allow the traffic, then no response is returned, the packets will be dropped, and requests usually time out. "Connection Refused" generally means that you reached the host, on a particular network port, but the service you attempted to reach on that port is not listening on that port. For example, if you were trying to access HTTP on port 80, but the service was actually listening on port 8080, and nothing else was listening on port 80, then the attempt to request on port 80 would be refused by the host.
Additional troubleshooting should include trying to access the host:port from another host, preferably in the same network segment and affected by the same Security Groups. This troubleshooting document might help as well.
- Accepted Answerasked 2 years ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 23 days ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated a month ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated 2 years ago
- AWS OFFICIALUpdated a year ago
- EXPERTpublished 4 months ago
- EXPERTpublished 5 months ago